Sunday, April 11, 2010

Team Mitch!

In 55 days I will be running my 2nd marathon...26.2 miles! I completed the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington DC back in Oct. 1999 and was thrilled I did it. A huge accomplishment and a great experience with the Aids Project LA training group. I ran that marathon to honor my cousin, Jimmy, a US Marine! I didn't have a time goal, just wanted to finish and I did with lots of emotion. I enjoyed having my Uncle Don, Cousin Jen & her husband Rob (who ran with me for a few minutes) and my cousin Ryan there to cheer me on. I said I would never run another one...

Well here I am 11 years & 2 kids later in the final training stages to run another one. This one will be even more emotional! This one is to support my best friend/sister, Michelle. This one is for Mitch, an amazing person that gave so much to this world & died way too early. This one I'm running with my husband (well technically speaking probably a few hours behind him but we will start out together and he'll be at the finish line when I get there). This one is for my kids...to show them that if they want to accomplish something, they can!

The kids have been a part of the training since the beginning. We have taken them in the stroller on some of our shorter training runs, they have listened to the Ipod, they have helped me stretch, they have asked "how was your run mommy?", they have driven in the car to go find Bryan or I running so they can wave and tell us "great job!" and "go Team Mitch". They are as invested as we are (as much as a 4 & 2 year old can be) Keira has asked to go running with me. Isaac knows what my running socks & shoes look like and will actually say "no run" since he knows the mileage is getting longer which means the time away is longer but in the end he is always happy & willing to give hugs, kisses & hi fives when I get back!

This marathon, I have family members running in the marathon & 1/2 marathon (how cool is that?!) I will also have LOTS of family & friends along the course and at the finish and I'm honored to be a part of TEAM MITCH! Just like my last marathon, I don't have a time goal...my only goal is to beat my last time. What an great feeling that will be!! In '99, I was a single, 24 year old with no real responsibilities other than my job. But by the time this marathon takes place June 6, 2010 in San Diego, I will be a 35 year old wife & mother of 2 with lots of responsibilities! I thought finding time to train last time was hard since I lived in Orange County and worked in LA. Now, finding time to train is even harder! Not only do I have Keira & Isaac to take care of, but I watch Addison & Matthew during the week too and am working 2 days/week at Trader Joe's, but somehow the runs still happen and I will finish this adventure with one foot in front of the other.

The fund-raising for this marathon is special to me! Team Mitch is raising $10,000 to establish the Mitchel Steinke Lifetime Scholarship for the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Assoc.) that will send a kid to Air Academy Camp each year in Mitch's name. If anyone deserved to have a lifetime scholarship in his name...it is Mitch! The kids know Team Mitch has a purpose and are just as excited about the marathon as the rest of us. Watch this short video below that Keira & Addison made the other day. They were totally talking about Team Mitch on the way to school, so I told them I would videotape them and they could watch themselves on "tv"...



If you would like to make a tax deductible donation, please visit, https://secure.eaa.org/development/index.html
Be sure to select "OTHER" when it asks what program you want to support and type in Mitchel Steinke Scholarship. Or for those that have asked for a physical address where they can send a check...
Makes checks payable to Experimental Aircraft Association
be sure to write Mitchel Steinke Scholarship in the memo section.
Mail to:
EAA Aviation Center
P.O. Box 3086
Oshkosh, WI 54903-3086

We still have about $4,000 left to raise...will you help us reach our goal? Every little bit helps! Maybe you can give up your Starbucks for the day, or your lunch/dinner out, or your next beer or trip to the movies? We don't need hundreds of dollars from everyone, just a few bucks to get us one step closer! Mitch deserves this! Addison & Matthew deserve this! And of course Michelle deserves this!

Thanks for your support! Go Team Mitch, Live in the Moment!

No comments: